A message from our director
Thank you, Dr. Pahor
Our mission in the Institute on Aging is to promote the health, independence, and quality of life of older adults by means of interdisciplinary teams in the areas of research, education, and health care. The Institute on Aging is the home of faculty members from diverse disciplines who wish to pursue a career primarily focused on health care, research, and education on aging.
We are dedicated to high-quality interdisciplinary and translational research and training focused on the health and independence of older adults. It is our continuing goal to be at the forefront of research, education, and career development in the area of aging, and make significant contributions to the preservation of independence and prevention and rehabilitation of disabilities affecting our senior citizens. We are committed to providing state-of-the-art high-quality patient-centered health care spanning the entire spectrum of care.
The overarching goals of the Institute are:
• To conduct dynamic interdisciplinary research that spans public health, social, health services, behavioral, clinical, and basic sciences. Our research focuses on mechanisms, etiology, prevention, and rehabilitation of cognitive and physical disability. We strive to accelerate translation, dissemination, and implementation of research findings into clinical practice and healthcare policy.
• To educate undergraduate, graduate, professional and post-graduate trainees in an integrated model of care and research.
• To provide state-of-the-art comprehensive patient and community-centered care for older adults that is grounded in respect and understanding and fosters compassion and effective communication with patients, populations, and families.
- We are committed to the highest level of excellence and integrity in every aspect of our business.
- We promote and support diversity in opinion, gender, race, and ethnicity.
- We promote collaboration and teamwork.
- We are focused on and committed to the healthcare needs of our patients.
- We show pride, enthusiasm, and dedication in research, education, and health care, which are aiming to improve the health, independence, and quality of life of older adults.
- We strive to help and improve the communities where we work and live.
- We are concerned about the environment and promote the use of recyclable products and renewable energy.