Manini, Todd, PhD
Address2004 Mowry Road, Gainesville, Fl 32611
PO Box 100107, Gainesville, FL 32610.
Education1997 B.S. Ohio University Major: Biology, Minor: Chemistry
2000 M.S. Syracuse University Concentration: Exercise Physiology
2001 C.A.S. Syracuse University Concentration: Gerontology
2004 Ph.D. Syracuse University Concentration: Geriatric Exercise Physiology
2006 Post-Doctorate National Institute on Aging Concentration: Epidemiology
Department of Aging and Geriatric Research, Division of Career Development and Education, Division of Clinical Research
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Department of Applied Physiology and Kinesiology
Accomplishments2003 Sydney W. Young Graduate Student Research Awards
2003 Mid-Atlantic Chapter of the American College of Sports Medicine Presidents Award
2005 Certificate of University Teaching, Syracuse University
2005 Austin Bloch Post-Doctoral Fellow Award, Gerontological Society of America
2005 Syracuse University All-University Doctoral Prize (Dissertation of the Year)
2005 Clinical Medicine Research Award Honoree, Gerontological Society of America
2003 Dean’s Graduate Student Fellowship, Syracuse University
2010 Excellence award for Assistant Professors, University of Florida
2011 Outstanding presentation award granted to Torrance Higgins (Mentee of Manini TM) at the Annual Conference of the Institute for Learning in Retirement. Student Research on Aging Symposium. Evaluation of Self Efficacy and Anxiety on the Use of Compensatory Strategies
2011 UF College of Medicine Exemplary Teachers Award
2011 Fellow of the American College of Sports Medicine
INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM MHC / CONGRÈS INTERNATIONAL DE LA MASSE MUSCULAIRE : DE LA CELLULE À L’HOMME.
Montreal, CA; May 3rd 2013
Presentation title : Strengthening the grip on the semantics of sarcopenia
INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM MHC / CONGRÈS INTERNATIONAL DE LA MASSE MUSCULAIRE : DE LA CELLULE À L’HOMME.
Montreal, CA; May 4th 2013
Presentation title : Dynapenia and physical function
36th INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM on SPORTS SCIENCES
São Caetano do Sul, São Paulo, Brazil (CELAFISCS); October 3rd, 2013
Presentation title: Dynapenia & Sarcopenia: New concepts and Implications for Aging?
Invited Reviews and Commentaries:
1. Manini TM*. Organ-o-penia. Journal of Applied Physiology. Vol 106 (6) 1759-60, 2009.
2. Clark BC, Manini TM*. Sarcopenia ¹ Dynapenia. Journals of Gerontology: Biological and Medical Sciences. Vol 63(8) 829-834, 2008.
3. Manini, TM* and BC Clark. Blood flow restricted exercise and skeletal muscle health. Invited review article for Exercise and Sports Sciences Review. Vol 37(2), 78-85, 2009.
4. Manini, TM* and M Pahor. Physical activity and maintaining physical function in older adults. Invited review article for British Journal of Sports Medicine. Vol 43(1): 28-31, 2009. 5. Pahor M, Manini T, Cesari M. Sarcopenia: clinical evaluation, biological markers and other evaluation tools. JNutr Health Aging. Vol 13(8):724-8. 2009.
6. Manini, TM*. Energy Expenditure and Aging. Ageing Research Reviews. Vol 9(1): 1-11, 2010.
7. Manini TM*. Determinants and consequences of physical function limitations in older persons. Current Aging Science. 2011 Dec; 4(3):184-91
8. Carter CS, Marzetti E, leeuwenburgh C, Manini TM, Foster TC, Groban L, Scarpace PJ, Morgan D. Usefulness of preclinical models for assessing the efficacy of late-life interventions for sarcopenia. Journals of Gerontology: Biological and Medical Sciences. In press, Jan 2011.
9. Manini TM*, Clark BC. Dynapenia & Aging: An Update. Journals of Gerontology: Biological and Medical Sciences. Journals of Gerontology: Biological and Medical Sciences. 2012 Jan;67(1):28-40. Epub 2011 Mar 28. PubMed PMID: 21444359; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3260480
10. Manini TM*. Comment on “Expanding our physical activity (measurement) budget wisely”. Journal of Applied Physiology. Vol 111 (2): 608-13.
11. Joe Nocera, Thomas W. Buford , Todd M. Manini, Kelly Naugle, Christiaan Leeuwenburgh, Marco Pahor, Michael G. Perri, & Stephen D. Anton. The Impact of Behavioral Intervention on Obesity Mediated Declines in Mobility Function: Implications for Longevity. Accepted to Journal of Aging Research.
12. Clark BC & Manini TM*. What is Dynapenia? Invited review for the Journal of Nutrition. In press.
13. Manini TM*, Lee SL, Clark BC. Aging and muscle: A neuron’s perspective. Current Opinion in Clinical Nutrition and Metabolic Care. In press.
14. Manini TM*. Mobility decline in elders: A time to intervene. Exercise & Sports Science Research. In press 2012
Original Scientific Articles:
1. Ploutz-Snyder LL, Manini TM, Ploutz-Snyder RJ, and Wolf DA. Functionally Relevant Thresholds of Quadriceps Femoris Strength. Journals of Gerontology: Series A, Biological and Medical Sciences. Vol 57(4) B144-52, 2002.
2. Mayer JM, Verna JL, Manini TM, Mooney V, Graves JE. Electromyographic activity of the trunk extensor muscles: Effect of varying hip position and lumbar posture during Roman chair exercise. Archives of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation. Vol 83(11) 1543-1546, 2002.
3. Clark BC, Manini TM, Mayer JM, Ploutz-Snyder LL and Graves JE. Electromyographic activity of the lumbar and hip extensors during dynamic trunk extension exercise. Archives of. Physical Medicine &. Rehabilitation. Vol 83 (11) 1547-1552, 2002.
4. Clark BC, Manini TM, Ploutz-Snyder LL. Derecruitment of the lumbar musculature during fatiguing trunk extension exercise. Spine. Vol 28 (3) 282-287. 2003.
5. Clark BC, Manini TM, Thé DJ, Doldo NA^ and Ploutz-Snyder LL. Gender differences in skeletal muscle fatigability are related to contraction type and EMG spectral compression. Journal of Applied Physiology. Vol 94: 2263-2272, 2003.
6. Clark BC, Manini TM, NR Ordway^ and LL Ploutz-Snyder. Leg muscle activity during walking with assistive devices at varying levels of weight-bearing. Archives of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation. Vol 85 (9): 1555-1560, 2004.
7. Manini TM*, SL Baldwin^, NR Ordway^, RJ Ploutz-Snyder, LL Ploutz-Snyder. Knee extensor isometric unsteadiness does not predict functional limitation in older adults. American Journal of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation. Vol 84 (2): 112-121, 2005.
8. Manini TM*, Sagendorf K^, Mayer JM, Ploutz-Snyder LL. Trunk extensor muscle function in young and old women: A pilot study. Journal of Back and Musculoskeletal Rehabilitation. Vol 18 (1-2): 5-13, 2005.
9. Manini TM*, Druger M, Ploutz-Snyder LL. Misconceptions of strength exercise among older adults. Journal of Aging and Physical Activity, 13: 422-433, 2005
10. Manini TM*, Clark BC, Tracy BL, Burke J, Ploutz-Snyder LL. Resistance or functional training improves knee extensor movement variability in functionally limited older adults. European Journal of Applied Physiology, 95: 436-446, 2005
11. Clark BC, Collier S^, Manini TM, and Ploutz-Snyder LL. Sex Differences in Muscle Fatigability and Neuromuscular Activation Patterns of the Human Quadriceps Femoris. European Journal of Applied Physiology, 94 (1-2): 196-206, 2005
12. Clark BC, Manini TM, Bolanowski S, Ploutz-Snyder L. Adaptations in human neuromuscular function following prolonged unweighting: Part II. Neurological properties & motor imagery efficacy. Journal of Applied Physiology, 101: 256-263, 2006.
13. Patel KV, Coppin AK, Manini TM, Lauretani F, Bandinelli S, Ferrucci L, and Guralnik JM. Physical activity in mid-life and mobility outcomes in old age: The InCHIANTI Study. American Journal of Preventive Medicine. 85: 377-84, 2006.
14. Manini TM*, Everhart J, Patel V, Schoeller D, Colbert L, Visser M, Tylavsky F, Bauer D, Goodpaster B, Harris T. Daily activity energy expenditure and mortality among older adults. JAMA. 296; 171-179, 2006.
15. Manini TM*, Cook SM, Van Arnam Jr, T., Marko, M, Ploutz-Snyder LL Evaluating task modification as an objective measure of functional limitation: repeatability and comparability. Journals of Gerontology: Series A. Biological and Medical Sciences. 61; 718-725, 2006.
16. Manini TM*, Marko M^, VanArnam T, Cook S^, Fernhall B, Burke J, Ploutz-Snyder L. Efficacy of Resistance and task-specific exercise in older adults who modify tasks of everyday life. Journals of Gerontology: Medical Sciences. 62; 616-623, 2007.
17. Manini TM*, Visser M, Won-Park S, Patel K, Strotmeyer E, Chen H, Goodpaster B, De Rekeneire N, Newman AB, Simonsick EM, Kritchevsky SB, Ryder K, Schwartz S, Harris TB. Knee extension strength cutpoints for maintaining mobility. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. 55(3): 451-7, 2007.
18. Manini TM*, Clark BC, Nalls MA, Goodpaster BH, Ploutz-Snyder LL, Harris TB. Reduced physical activity increases inter-muscular adipose tissue in healthy young adults. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 31(3): 217-24, 2007.
19. Clark BC, Manini TM, Ploutz-Snyder LL. Fatigue-induced changes in phasic muscle activation patterns during trunk extension exercise. American Journal of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. 86 (5): 373-379. 2007.
20. Collier S, Manini TM, Tillotson JW. Predictors of performance in exercise science. The Mentor. 9: 1-6, 2007.
21. Monzon A, Hemler PF, Nalls MN, Manini TM, Clark BC, Harris TB, McAuliffe MJ. Semi-automatic tissue classification of magnetic resonance images of the thigh for application to large-scale datasets. Proceedings of the Society of Photo-Optical Instrumentation Engineers. 6512: 2007.
22. Clark BC, Pierce JR^, Manini TM and Ploutz-Snyder LL. Effect of prolonged unweighting of human skeletal muscle on neuromotor force control. European Journal of Applied Physiology. 100 (1): 53-62, 2007.
23. Marzetti E, Lawler JM, Hiona A, Manini TM, Seo AY, Leeuwenbergh C. Modulation of age-induced apoptotic signaling and cellular remodeling by exercise and caloric restriction in skeletal muscle. Free Radical Biol Med. Jan 15;44(2):160-8. 2008.
24. Clark BC, Manini TM, Hoffman RL, Russ DW. Restoration of voluntary muscle strength following 3-weeks of
cast immobilization is suppressed in women compared to men. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation.
90(1): 178-80, 2009.
25. Delmonico MJ, Zmuda JM, Taylor BC, Cauley JA, Harris TB, Manini TM, Schwartz A, Li R, Roth SM,
Hurley BF, Bauer DC, Ferrell RE, Newman AB. Association of the ACTN3 Genotype and Physical
functioning with age in older adults. Journals of Gerontology: Biological and Medical Science. 63 (11): 1227-34.
26. Manini TM*, Everhart JE., Patel KV, Schoeller DA., Cummings S, Mackey D^, Bauer DC, Simonsick EM.,
Colbert LH, Visser M, Tylavsky F., Newman AB, Harris TB. Activity energy expenditure and mobility limitation in
older adults: Differential associations by sex. American Journal of Epidemiology, 169 (12): 1507-16. 2009.
27. Cesari M, Onder G, Zamboni V, Manini TM, Shorr RI, Russo A, Bernabei R, Pahor M, Landi F. Physical function and self-reported health status as predictors of mortality – Results from longitudinal analysis in the ilSIRENTE Study. BMC Geriatr. Vol 8. 2008.
28. Manini TM*, Everhart J, Bauer S, Colbert L, Cummings S, Goodpaster BH, Schoeller DA, Simonsick EM, Tylavsky F, Harris TB. Activity energy expenditure and the change in body composition during late life. American J Clinical Nutrition. Vol 90(5): 1336-42. 2009.
30. Manini TM*, Newman AB, Fielding R, Blair SN, Perri MG, Anton SD, Goodpaster BC, Katula JA, Rejeski WJ, Kritchevsky SB, Hsu FC, Pahor M; LIFE Research Group. Effect of exercise on mobility in obese and non-obese older adults. Obesity (Silver Spring). Vol 18(6): 1168-75. 2010.
31. Gine-Garriga M^, Guerra M, Manini TM, Mari-Dell’Olmo M, Pages E, Unnithan VB. Measuring balance, lower extremity strength and gain in the elderly: Construct validation of an instrument. Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics. Vol 51(2): 199-204. 2010.
32. Umbel JD^, Hoffman RL, Dearth DJ^, Chleboun GS^, Manini TM, Clark BC. Delayed-onset muscle soreness induced by low-load blood flow restricted exercise. European Journal of Applied Physiology. Vol 107(6): 687-95. 2009.
33. Delmonico MJ, Harris TB, Visser M, Park SW, Conroy MB, Velasquez-Mieyer P, Boudreau R, Manini TM, Newman AB, Goodpaster BH. Longitudinal study of muscle strength, quality and adipose tissue infiltration. Submitted 5/08. American J of Clinical Nutrition. Vol 90 (6): 1579-85. 2009.
34. Clark BC, TM Manini, RL Hoffman, PS Williams, MK Guiler, MJ Knutson, ML McGlynn, MR Kushnick. Relative safety of 4-wks of blood flow restricted resistance exercise in young, healthy adults. Scandinavian Journal of Medicine and Science in Sports. Epub March 2010.
35. Buford TW^, Cooke MB, Manini TM, Leeuwenburgh C, Willoughby DS. Effects of age and sedentary lifestyle on skeletal muscle NF-kappaB signaling in men. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2010 May;65(5):532-7.
36. Buford TW^, Anton SD, Judge AD, Marzetti E, Pahor M, Wohlgemuth SE, Carter CS, Leeuwenburgh C, Pahor M, Manini TM*. Models of accelerated sarcopenia: critical pieces for solving the puzzle of age-related muscle atrophy. Ageing Research Reviews. Vol 9(4): 383-83. 2010.
37. Manini TM* & Clark BC. Functional consequences of sarcopenia and dynapenia in the elderly. Current Opinion in Clinical Nutrition and Metabolic Care. Vol 13(3): 271-6. 2010.
38. Manini TM*, Anton SA. Does self-reported physical activity underestimate the importance in cardiovascular disease prevention? Current Cardiovascular Risk Reports. Vol 44(4) 293-301. 2010.
39. Giné-Garriga M^, Guerra M, Pagès E, Manini TM, Jiménez R, Unnithan VB. The effect of functional circuit training on physical frailty in frail older adults: a randomized controlled trial. Journal of Aging and Physical Activity. Vol 18(4): 401-24. 2010.
40. Manini TM*, Vincent KV, Leeuwenburgh CL, Borst SE, Clark BC. Myogenic and proteolytic mRNA expression following blood flow restricted exercise. Acta Physiologica Scandinavia. Vol 201(2): 25-63. 2011.
41. Chalé-Rush A, Guralnik JM, Walkup MP, Miller ME, Rejeski WJ, Katula JA, King AC, Glynn NW, Manini TM, Blair SN, Fielding RA. Relationship Between Physical Functioning and Physical Activity in the Lifestyle Interventions and Independence for Elders Pilot. J Am Geriatr Soc. Vol 58(10), 1918-24. 2010.
42. Todd M. Manini*, Kushang V. Patel, Doug Bauer, Elad Ziv, Dale A. Schoeller, Dawn C. Mackey, Rongling Li, Anne B. Newman, Michael Nalls, Joseph Zmuda, Tamara B. Harris for the Health, Aging and Body Composition Study. European ancestry and resting metabolic rate. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition. In press January 2011.
43. Stephen D. Anton, Todd Manini, Vanessa Milson, Pamela Dubyak, Matteo Cesari, Jing Cheng, Michael Daniels, Michael Marsiske, Marco Pahor, Christiaan Leeuwenburgh, Michael Perri Effects of a Weight Loss Plus Exercise Program on Physical Functioning in Overweight, Older Women: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Clinical Interventions in Aging. In Press February 2011.
44. Wohlgemuth SE, Lees HA, Marzetti E, Manini TM, Aranda JM, Daniels M, Pahor M, Perri MG, Leeuwenburgh C, Anton S.D. An Exploratory Analysis of the Effects of a Weight Loss plus Exercise Program on Cellular Quality Control Mechanisms in Older Overweight Women. Rejuvenation Research. In Press February 2011.
45. Jeff Knaggs^, Kelly Larkin^, Todd Manini*. Metabolic Cost of Daily Activities and Effect of Mobility Impairment in Older Adults. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2011 Nov; 59(11):2118-23. PMID: 22091979.
46. Keith McGregor^; Zvinka Zlatar^; Erin Kleim; Atchar Sudhyadhom; Andrew Bauer; Stephanie Phan; Lauren Seeds; Anastasia Ford; Todd Manini, PhD; Keith D White; Jeffrey Kleim; Bruce Crosson. Physical Activity and Neural Correlates of Aging: A Combined TMS/fMRI Study. Behavioural Brain Research. In press March 2011.
47. Middleton LE^, Manini TM, Simonsick EM, Harris TB, Barne, DE, Tylavsky F, Brach JS, Everhart JE, Yaffe K. Activity energy expenditure and incidence cognitive impairment in older adults. Archives of Internal Medicine. 2011 Jul 25;171(14):1251-7.
48. Dawn C. Mackey, Todd M. Manini, Dale Schoeller, Annemarie Koster, Nancy W. Glynn, Bret H. Goodpaster, Suzanne Satterfield, Anne B. Newman, Tamara B. Harris, Steven R. Cummings. Validation of an Armband to
Measure Daily Energy Expenditure in Older Adults. Journals of Gerontology: Medical Sciences. 2011 Oct; 66(10):1108-13.
49. Gregory J. Tranah, PhD; Todd M. Manini, PhD; Kurt K. Lohman, PhD; Michael A. Nalls, PhD; Stephen Kritchevsky, PhD; Anne B. Newman, PhD; Tamara B. Harris, MD; Iva Miljkovic, MD, PhD; Alessandro Biffihi, MD; Steven R Cummings, MD; and Yongmei Liu, PhD for the Health, Aging and Body Composition Study. Mitochondrial DNA variation in human metabolic rate and energy expenditure: The Health, Aging and Body Composition Study. Mitochondrian. 2011 Nov; 11(6):855-61.
50. Thomas W. Buford^, Donovan J. Lott, Emanuele Marzetti, Stephanie E. Wohlgemuth, Krista Vandenborne, Marco Pahor, Christiaan Leeuwenburgh, Todd M. Manini*. Aging of Lower Extremity Tissue Compartments and Associations with Physical Function in Older Adults. Experimental Gerontology. 2012 Jan;47(1):38-44.
51. Kelly M. Naugle^, Torrance J. Higgins^, Todd Manini*. Obesity and use of compensatory strategies to perform common daily activities in pre-clinically disabled older adults. Accepted for publication in Archives of Geriatrics and Gerontology.
52. Emanuele Marzetti, Stephanie E. Wohlgemuth, Hazel A. Lees, Todd M. Manini, Thomas W. Buford, Juan M. Aranda Jr., Riccardo Calvani, Giorgio Capuani, Michael Marsiske, Roberto Bernabei, Marco Pahor, Christiaan Leeuwenburgh. Skeletal muscle apoptotic signaling predicts thigh muscle volume and gait speed in community-dwelling older persons: an exploratory study. PLoS ONE. Accepted for publication on 2-3-11. In Press.
53. John M. Mayer, James E. Graves, Todd M. Manini, James L. Nuzzo, Ploutz-Snyder. Lumbar Muscle Activity during Common Lifts: a Preliminary Study using Magnetic Resonance Imaging. Journal of Applied Biomechanics. Accepted for publication on 3-2-12. In Press.
54. Jeff Parr, Paul Borsa, Roger Fillingim, Mark Tillman, Todd Manini, Chris Gregory, Steven George. Pain Related Fear and Catastrophizing Predict Pain Intensity and Disability Independently Using an Induced Muscle Injury Model. The Journal of Pain. In press.
55. Fielding RA, Rejeski WJ, Blair S, Church T, Espeland MA, Gill TM, Guralnik JM, Hsu FC, Katula J, King AC, Kritchevsky SB, McDermott MM, Miller ME, Nayfield S, Newman AB, Williamson JD, Bonds D, Romashkan S,
Hadley E, Pahor M; LIFE Research Group. The Lifestyle Interventions and Independence for Elders Study: design and methods. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2011 Nov;66(11):1226-37. Epub 2011 Aug 8.PubMed PMID: 21825283; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3193523. Listed as part of the LIFE Research Group.
56. ACE inhibitor use by older adults is associated with improved functional responses to exercise. Thomas W. Buford, PhD; Todd M. Manini, PhD; Fang-Chi Hsu, PhD; Matteo Cesari, MD, PhD; Stephen D. Anton, PhD; Susan Nayfield, MD; Randall S. Stafford, MD, PhD; Timothy S. Church, MD, MPH, PhD; Marco Pahor, MD; Christy S. Carter, PhD; the LIFE Research Group* Accepted to the Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. In press.
57. Todd M. Manini*, Brian C. Clark, Joshua F, Yarrow, Christine F. Conover, Stephen E. Borst. Growth hormone responses to acute resistance exercise with vascular restriction in young and old men. Article accepted to Journal of Growth hormone and IGF research. In press.
58. Gregory J. Tranah, Ernest T. Lam, Shana M. Katzman, Michael A. Nalls, Yiqiang Zhao, Daniel S. Evans, Jennifer S. Yokoyama, Ludmila Pawlikowska,Pui-Yan Kwok,Sean Mooney, Stephen Kritchevsky, Bret H. Goodpaster,Anne B. Newman, Tamara B. Harris, Todd M. Manini,and Steven R. Cummingsfor the Health, Aging and Body Composition Study. Mitochondrial DNA sequence variation is associated with free-living activity energy expenditure in the elderly. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2012 Sep;1817(9): 1691-1700. Epub 2012 May 31. PubMed PMID: 22659402; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3389152
59. Kelly A. Larkin, R. Gavin MacNeil, Marvin Dirain, Bhanupresad Sandesara, Todd M. Manini, Thomas W. Buford... Blood Flow Restriction Enhances Post-Resistance Exercise Angiogenic Gene Expression. Accepted to Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. In press.
60. Anna-Maria Joseph, Peter J. Adhihetty, Thomas W. Buford, Stephanie E. Wohlgemuth, Hazel A. Lees, Linda M. Nguyen, Juan M. Aranda, Bhanu D. Sandesara, Marco Pahor, Todd M. Manini, Emanuele Marzetti, Christiaan Leeuwenburgh. The Impact of Aging on Mitochondrial Function and Biogenesis Pathways in Skeletal Muscle of Sedentary High- and Low-Functioning Elderly Individuals. Accepted to Aging Cell. In Press.
61. Torrance J. Higgins^, Christopher M. Janelle, Kelly M. Naugle^, Jeffrey Knaggs, Brian M. Hoover, Todd M. Manini*. Evaluation of self-efficacy and anxiety on the use of compensatory strategies during daily tasks among pre-clinically disabled older adults. In Press at Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics.
62. Paul M. Coen, Sharon A. Jubrias, Giovanna Distefano, Francesca Amati, Dawn C. Mackey, Nancy W. Glynn, Todd M. Manini, Stephanie E. Wohlgemuth, Christiaan Leeuwenburgh, Steven R. Cummings, Anne B. Newman, Luigi Ferrucci, Frederico G.S. Toledo, Eric Shankland, Kevin E. Conley, and Bret H. Goodpaster. Skeletal Muscle Mitochondrial Energetics are Associated with Maximal Aerobic Capacity and Walking Speed in Older Adults. In press at Journals of Gerontology: Medical Sciences.
63. Heffernan KS, Manini TM, Blair SN, Hsu F, Nicklas BJ, Kritchevsky SB, Newman AB, Church TS, Sutton-Tyrell K, Haskell W, Karas RH, Kuvin JT, Fielding RA. Relation of pulse pressure to long-distance gait speed in community-dwelling older adults: Findings from the LIFE-P study. Accepted to PLOS ONE.
64. Keith M. McGregor *, Kenneth M. Heilman, Joe Nocera, Carolynn Patten, Bruce Crosson, Todd M. Manini, Andrew J. Butler. Aging, Aerobic Activity and Interhemispheric Communication. Brain Sciences. In Press
Manuscripts in Review/Preparation:
Manini TM, Lott D, Vandenborne K, Buford T, Knaggs J, Leeuwenburgh C, Pahor M, Perri M, Anton SD. Body composition changes with weight loss and exercise in older obese women with mild physical impairments. Article submitted to Journals of Gerontology: Medical Sciences.
Kevin S. Heffernan, Todd Manini, Steven N. Blair, Fang-Chi Hsu, Barbara J. Nicklas, Stephen B. Kritchevsky, Anne B. Newman, Timothy S. Church, Kimberly Sutton-Tyrell, William Haskell, Richard H. Karas, Jeffrey T. Kuvin and Roger A. Fielding. Pulse pressure is associated with long-distance gait speed in community-dwelling older adults: Findings from the LIFE-P study. Submitted to Journal of Hypertension.
Higgins TJ^, Janelle CM, Manini TM*. Origins and measurement of pre-clinical disability. Submitted to Journals of Gerontology: Psychological and Social Sciences.
Manini TM, Rodriguez B, Manson J, Garcia L, Stefanick M, Hingle M, Sims S, Song Y, Seguin R, Lamonte M, Limacher M. Sitting time and incidence diabetes in the Women’s Health Initiative. Prepared for Diabetes Care.
Books and book chapters
Book Chapter: Naugle K, Higgins T^, Manini TM*. Energy Metabolism and Diet: Effects on Healthspan in Bioactive Foods and Aging. To be published by Elsevier. Maryland Heights, MO USA.
Book Chapter. Manini TM*, Russ D, Clark BC. The complex relation between muscle mass and muscle strength. To be published in Sarcopenia.
Book Chapter. Stephen D. Anton, Sandrine Sourdet, Marco Pahor, & Todd Manini. Challenges in implementing large-scale clinical trials in moderately functioning older adults for inclusion in the book Clinical Trials in Older Adults.
Book: Manini TM*. Adaptations to strength exercise in pre-clinically disabled older adults. Published by Lambert Academic Publishing. Saarbrucken, Germany.