Manini, Todd, PhD
2004 Mowry Road, Gainesville, Fl 32611
PO Box 100107, Gainesville, FL 32610.
1997 B.S. Ohio University Major: Biology, Minor: Chemistry
2000 M.S. Syracuse University Concentration: Exercise Physiology
2001 C.A.S. Syracuse University Concentration: Gerontology
2004 Ph.D. Syracuse University Concentration: Geriatric Exercise Physiology
2006 Post-Doctorate National Institute on Aging Concentration: Epidemiology
A native of Wintersville, Ohio, Dr. Manini attended Ohio University in Athens, OH where he graduated with honors in Biology, Exercise Science, and Biochemistry. He received his M.S. and Ph.D. as well as a Certificate of Advanced Studies in Gerontology from Syracuse University. He completed a fellowship at the Laboratory of Epidemiology, Demography and Biometry at the National Institute on Aging at the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, MD. He is now a Tenured Associate Professor at the University of Florida (UF) in the Department of Aging and Geriatric Research. He was also recently elected the prestigious honor of being standing member on NIH’s Center for Scientific Review as part of the Neurological, Aging and Musculoskeletal Epidemiology (NAME) Study Section. He is also the Leader of the Data Science and Applied Technology Core in the UF Claude D. Pepper Older American’s Independence Center. The Core is designed to maintain pace in a world that is becoming a connected system of computing and sensing components for mobility tracking in older adults. His current areas of research include: 1) developing and conducting randomized interventions to combat losses in physical performance seen with aging, 2) understanding the degree to which aging modifies the metabolic cost of performing daily activities, 3) identifying the role that mitochondria have in explaining cardiovascular responsiveness to chronic physical activity and 4) developing wearable technology (e.g. smart watch) for scalable ascertainment of real-time, free-living activity and community mobility in older adults. He receives support from the National Institute on Aging, American Heart Association, The National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, and National Cancer Institute for his work.
Department of Aging and Geriatric Research, Division of Career Development and Education, Division of Clinical Research
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Department of Applied Physiology and Kinesiology
2003 Sydney W. Young Graduate Student Research Awards
2003 Mid-Atlantic Chapter of the American College of Sports Medicine Presidents Award
2005 Certificate of University Teaching, Syracuse University
2005 Austin Bloch Post-Doctoral Fellow Award, Gerontological Society of America
2005 Syracuse University All-University Doctoral Prize (Dissertation of the Year)
2005 Clinical Medicine Research Award Honoree, Gerontological Society of America
2003 Dean’s Graduate Student Fellowship, Syracuse University
2010 Excellence award for Assistant Professors, University of Florida
2011 Outstanding presentation award granted to Torrance Higgins (Mentee of Manini TM) at the Annual Conference of the Institute for Learning in Retirement. Student Research on Aging Symposium. Evaluation of Self Efficacy and Anxiety on the Use of Compensatory Strategies
2011 UF College of Medicine Exemplary Teachers Award
2011 Fellow of the American College of Sports Medicine
Refereed Journal Articles:
Total Number of peer-reviewed, non-peer reviewed and invited articles: 143
Total Number of Senior (Corresponding) Author Publications: 50
*Denotes Senior or Corresponding author
^Denotes Student or Trainee author
NCBI publication list located here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/myncbi/todd.manini.1/bibliography/40192556/public/?sort=date&direction= descending
Invited Papers, Commentaries and non-peer reviewed papers:
1. Manini TM*. Organ-o-penia. Journal of Applied Physiology. Vol 106 (6) 1759-60, 2009.
2. Clark BC, Manini TM*. Sarcopenia Dynapenia. Journals of Gerontology: Biological and Medical Sciences. Vol 63(8) 829-834, 2008.
3. Manini, TM* and BC Clark. Blood flow restricted exercise and skeletal muscle health. Invited review article for Exercise and Sports Sciences Review. Vol 37(2), 78-85, 2009.
4. Manini, TM* and M Pahor. Physical activity and maintaining physical function in older adults. Invited review article for British Journal of Sports Medicine. Vol 43(1): 28-31, 2009.
5. Pahor M, Manini T, Cesari M. Sarcopenia: clinical evaluation, biological markers and other evaluation tools. J
Nutr Health Aging. Vol 13(8):724-8. 2009.
6. Manini, TM*. Energy Expenditure and Aging. Ageing Research Reviews. Vol 9(1): 1-11, 2010.
7. Manini TM*. Determinants and consequences of physical function limitations in older persons. Current Aging Science. 2011 Dec; 4(3):184-91
8. Carter CS, Marzetti E, leeuwenburgh C, Manini TM, Foster TC, Groban L, Scarpace PJ, Morgan D. Usefulness of preclinical models for assessing the efficacy of late-life interventions for sarcopenia. Journals of Gerontology: Biological and Medical Sciences. 67(1):17-27. 2012
9. Manini TM*, Clark BC. Dynapenia & Aging: An Update. Journals of Gerontology: Biological and Medical Sciences. 2012 Jan;67(1):28-40.
10. Manini TM*. Comment on “Expanding our physical activity (measurement) budget wisely”. Journal of Applied Physiology. Vol 111 (2): 608-13.
11. Joe Nocera, Thomas W. Buford , Todd M. Manini, Kelly Naugle, Christiaan Leeuwenburgh, Marco Pahor, Michael G. Perri, & Stephen D. Anton. The Impact of Behavioral Intervention on Obesity Mediated Declines in Mobility Function: Implications for Longevity. Journal of Aging Research, vol. 2011, Article ID 392510, 2011. doi:10.4061/2011/392510.
12. Clark BC & Manini TM*. What is Dynapenia? Invited review for Nutrition. 2012 May;28(5):495-503. PubMed PMID: 22469110; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3571692.
13. Manini TM*, Lee SL, Clark BC. Aging and muscle: A neuron’s perspective. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care. 2013 Jan;16(1):21-6. PubMed PMID: 23222705; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3868452
14. Manini TM*. Mobility decline in elders: A time to intervene. Exerc Sport Sci Rev. 2013 Jan;41(1):2. PubMed PMID: 23262463; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3530168.
15. Manini TM*, Clark BC. What we have learned from exercise and lifestyle trials to alleviate mobility impairment in older adults. The Journal of Frailty & Aging. 2(1): 57-59.
16. Gundermann DM^, Manini TM*. Sarcopenia obesity – The plague of the aging baby boomers? Sports Medicine Bulletin Active Voice – Non-peer reviewed. November 11, 2014.
17. Manini TM*. Using physical activity to gain the most public health bang for the buck. JAMA Intern Med. 2015 Jun;175(6):968-9.
18. Cuttin KA^ and Manini TM*. Determining the Effects of Age on Metabolic Costs in Adults Participating in the CHORESXL Study. Journal of Undergraduate Research – Non-peer reviewed. Volume 18 (1), 2016.
Original Peer-reviewed Scientific Articles:
1. Ploutz-Snyder LL, Manini TM, Ploutz-Snyder RJ, and Wolf DA. Functionally Relevant Thresholds of Quadriceps Femoris Strength. Journals of Gerontology: Series A, Biological and Medical Sciences. Vol 57(4) B144-52, 2002.
2. Mayer JM, Verna JL, Manini TM, Mooney V, Graves JE. Electromyographic activity of the trunk extensor muscles: Effect of varying hip position and lumbar posture during Roman chair exercise. Archives of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation. Vol 83(11) 1543-1546, 2002.
3. Clark BC, Manini TM, Mayer JM, Ploutz-Snyder LL and Graves JE. Electromyographic activity of the lumbar and hip extensors during dynamic trunk extension exercise. Archives of. Physical Medicine &. Rehabilitation. Vol 83 (11) 1547-1552, 2002.
4. Clark BC, Manini TM, Ploutz-Snyder LL. Derecruitment of the lumbar musculature during fatiguing trunk extension exercise. Spine. Vol 28 (3) 282-287. 2003.
5. Clark BC, Manini TM, Thé DJ, Doldo NA^ and Ploutz-Snyder LL. Gender differences in skeletal muscle fatigability are related to contraction type and EMG spectral compression. Journal of Applied Physiology. Vol 94: 2263-2272, 2003.
6. Clark BC, Manini TM, NR Ordway^ and LL Ploutz-Snyder. Leg muscle activity during walking with assistive devices at varying levels of weight-bearing. Archives of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation. Vol 85 (9): 1555-1560, 2004.
7. Manini TM*, SL Baldwin^, NR Ordway^, RJ Ploutz-Snyder, LL Ploutz-Snyder. Knee extensor isometric unsteadiness does not predict functional limitation in older adults. American Journal of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation. Vol 84 (2): 112-121, 2005.
8. Manini TM*, Sagendorf K^, Mayer JM, Ploutz-Snyder LL. Trunk extensor muscle function in young and old women: A pilot study. Journal of Back and Musculoskeletal Rehabilitation. Vol 18 (1-2): 5-13, 2005.
9. Manini TM*, Druger M, Ploutz-Snyder LL. Misconceptions of strength exercise among older adults. Journal of Aging and Physical Activity, 13: 422-433, 2005
10. Manini TM*, Clark BC, Tracy BL, Burke J, Ploutz-Snyder LL. Resistance or functional training improves knee extensor movement variability in functionally limited older adults. European Journal of Applied Physiology, 95: 436-446, 2005
11. Clark BC, Collier S^, Manini TM, and Ploutz-Snyder LL. Sex Differences in Muscle Fatigability and Neuromuscular Activation Patterns of the Human Quadriceps Femoris. European Journal of Applied Physiology, 94 (1-2): 196-206, 2005
12. Clark BC, Manini TM, Bolanowski S, Ploutz-Snyder L. Adaptations in human neuromuscular function following prolonged unweighting: Part II. Neurological properties & motor imagery efficacy. Journal of Applied Physiology, 101: 256-263, 2006.
13. Patel KV, Coppin AK, Manini TM, Lauretani F, Bandinelli S, Ferrucci L, and Guralnik JM. Physical activity in mid-life and mobility outcomes in old age: The InCHIANTI Study. American Journal of Preventive Medicine. 85: 377-84, 2006.
14. Manini TM*, Everhart J, Patel V, Schoeller D, Colbert L, Visser M, Tylavsky F, Bauer D, Goodpaster B, Harris T. Daily activity energy expenditure and mortality among older adults. JAMA. 296; 171-179, 2006.
15. Manini TM*, Cook SM, Van Arnam Jr, T., Marko, M, Ploutz-Snyder LL Evaluating task modification as an objective measure of functional limitation: repeatability and comparability. Journals of Gerontology: Series A. Biological and Medical Sciences. 61; 718-725, 2006.
16. Manini TM*, Marko M^, VanArnam T, Cook S^, Fernhall B, Burke J, Ploutz-Snyder L. Efficacy of Resistance and task-specific exercise in older adults who modify tasks of everyday life. Journals of Gerontology: Medical Sciences. 62; 616-623, 2007.
17. Manini TM*, Visser M, Won-Park S, Patel K, Strotmeyer E, Chen H, Goodpaster B, De Rekeneire N, Newman AB, Simonsick EM, Kritchevsky SB, Ryder K, Schwartz S, Harris TB. Knee extension strength cutpoints for maintaining mobility. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. 55(3): 451-7, 2007.
18. Manini TM*, Clark BC, Nalls MA, Goodpaster BH, Ploutz-Snyder LL, Harris TB. Reduced physical activity increases inter-muscular adipose tissue in healthy young adults. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 31(3): 217-24, 2007.
19. Clark BC, Manini TM, Ploutz-Snyder LL. Fatigue-induced changes in phasic muscle activation patterns during trunk extension exercise. American Journal of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. 86 (5): 373-379. 2007.
20. Collier S, Manini TM, Tillotson JW. Predictors of performance in exercise science. The Mentor. 9: 1-6, 2007.
21. Monzon A, Hemler PF, Nalls MN, Manini TM, Clark BC, Harris TB, McAuliffe MJ. Semi-automatic tissue classification of magnetic resonance images of the thigh for application to large-scale datasets. Proceedings of the Society of Photo-Optical Instrumentation Engineers. 6512: 2007.
22. Clark BC, Pierce JR^, Manini TM and Ploutz-Snyder LL. Effect of prolonged unweighting of human skeletal muscle on neuromotor force control. European Journal of Applied Physiology. 100 (1): 53-62, 2007.
23. Marzetti E, Lawler JM, Hiona A, Manini TM, Seo AY, Leeuwenbergh C. Modulation of age-induced apoptotic signaling and cellular remodeling by exercise and caloric restriction in skeletal muscle. Free Radical Biol Med. Jan 15;44(2):160-8. 2008.
24. Clark BC, Manini TM, Hoffman RL, Russ DW. Restoration of voluntary muscle strength following 3-weeks of
cast immobilization is suppressed in women compared to men. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation.
90(1): 178-80, 2009.
25. Delmonico MJ, Zmuda JM, Taylor BC, Cauley JA, Harris TB, Manini TM, Schwartz A, Li R, Roth SM,
Hurley BF, Bauer DC, Ferrell RE, Newman AB. Association of the ACTN3 Genotype and Physical
functioning with age in older adults. Journals of Gerontology: Biological and Medical Science. 63 (11): 1227-34.
26. Manini TM*, Everhart JE., Patel KV, Schoeller DA., Cummings S, Mackey D^, Bauer DC, Simonsick EM.,
Colbert LH, Visser M, Tylavsky F., Newman AB, Harris TB. Activity energy expenditure and mobility limitation in
older adults: Differential associations by sex. American Journal of Epidemiology, 169 (12): 1507-16. 2009.
27. Cesari M, Onder G, Zamboni V, Manini TM, Shorr RI, Russo A, Bernabei R, Pahor M, Landi F. Physical function and self-reported health status as predictors of mortality – Results from longitudinal analysis in the ilSIRENTE Study. BMC Geriatr. Vol 8. 2008.
28. Manini TM*, Everhart J, Bauer S, Colbert L, Cummings S, Goodpaster BH, Schoeller DA, Simonsick EM, Tylavsky F, Harris TB. Activity energy expenditure and the change in body composition during late life. American J Clinical Nutrition. Vol 90(5): 1336-42. 2009.
30. Manini TM*, Newman AB, Fielding R, Blair SN, Perri MG, Anton SD, Goodpaster BC, Katula JA, Rejeski WJ, Kritchevsky SB, Hsu FC, Pahor M; LIFE Research Group. Effect of exercise on mobility in obese and non-obese older adults. Obesity (Silver Spring). Vol 18(6): 1168-75. 2010.
31. Gine-Garriga M^, Guerra M, Manini TM, Mari-Dell’Olmo M, Pages E, Unnithan VB. Measuring balance, lower extremity strength and gain in the elderly: Construct validation of an instrument. Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics. Vol 51(2): 199-204. 2010.
32. Umbel JD^, Hoffman RL, Dearth DJ^, Chleboun GS^, Manini TM, Clark BC. Delayed-onset muscle soreness induced by low-load blood flow restricted exercise. European Journal of Applied Physiology. Vol 107(6): 687-95. 2009.
33. Delmonico MJ, Harris TB, Visser M, Park SW, Conroy MB, Velasquez-Mieyer P, Boudreau R, Manini TM, Newman AB, Goodpaster BH. Longitudinal study of muscle strength, quality and adipose tissue infiltration. Submitted 5/08. American J of Clinical Nutrition. Vol 90 (6): 1579-85. 2009.
34. Clark BC, TM Manini, RL Hoffman, PS Williams, MK Guiler, MJ Knutson, ML McGlynn, MR Kushnick. Relative safety of 4-wks of blood flow restricted resistance exercise in young, healthy adults. Scandinavian Journal of Medicine and Science in Sports. Epub March 2010.
35. Buford TW^, Cooke MB, Manini TM, Leeuwenburgh C, Willoughby DS. Effects of age and sedentary lifestyle on skeletal muscle NF-kappaB signaling in men. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2010 May;65(5):532-7.
36. Buford TW^, Anton SD, Judge AD, Marzetti E, Pahor M, Wohlgemuth SE, Carter CS, Leeuwenburgh C, Pahor M, Manini TM*. Models of accelerated sarcopenia: critical pieces for solving the puzzle of age-related muscle atrophy. Ageing Research Reviews. Vol 9(4): 383-83. 2010.
37. Manini TM* & Clark BC. Functional consequences of sarcopenia and dynapenia in the elderly. Current Opinion in Clinical Nutrition and Metabolic Care. Vol 13(3): 271-6. 2010.
38. Manini TM*, Anton SA. Does self-reported physical activity underestimate the importance in cardiovascular disease prevention? Current Cardiovascular Risk Reports. Vol 44(4) 293-301. 2010.
39. Giné-Garriga M^, Guerra M, Pagès E, Manini TM, Jiménez R, Unnithan VB. The effect of functional circuit training on physical frailty in frail older adults: a randomized controlled trial. Journal of Aging and Physical Activity. Vol 18(4): 401-24. 2010.
40. Manini TM*, Vincent KV, Leeuwenburgh CL, Borst SE, Clark BC. Myogenic and proteolytic mRNA expression following blood flow restricted exercise. Acta Physiologica Scandinavia. Vol 201(2): 25-63. 2011.
41. Chalé-Rush A, Guralnik JM, Walkup MP, Miller ME, Rejeski WJ, Katula JA, King AC, Glynn NW, Manini TM, Blair SN, Fielding RA. Relationship Between Physical Functioning and Physical Activity in the Lifestyle Interventions and Independence for Elders Pilot. J Am Geriatr Soc. Vol 58(10), 1918-24. 2010.
42. Todd M. Manini*, Kushang V. Patel, Doug Bauer, Elad Ziv, Dale A. Schoeller, Dawn C. Mackey, Rongling Li, Anne B. Newman, Michael Nalls, Joseph Zmuda, Tamara B. Harris for the Health, Aging and Body Composition Study. European ancestry and resting metabolic rate. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2011 Jun;65(6):663-7. PubMed PMID: 21468093; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3915864.
43. Stephen D. Anton, Todd Manini, Vanessa Milson, Pamela Dubyak, Matteo Cesari, Jing Cheng, Michael Daniels, Michael Marsiske, Marco Pahor, Christiaan Leeuwenburgh, Michael Perri. Effects of a Weight Loss Plus Exercise Program on Physical Functioning in Overweight, Older Women: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Clin Interv Aging. 2011;6:141-9. PubMed PMID: 21753869; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3131984.
44. Wohlgemuth SE, Lees HA, Marzetti E, Manini TM, Aranda JM, Daniels M, Pahor M, Perri MG, Leeuwenburgh C, Anton S.D. An Exploratory Analysis of the Effects of a Weight Loss plus Exercise Program on Cellular Quality Control Mechanisms in Older Overweight Women. Rejuvenation Research. 2011 Jun;14(3):315-24. PubMed PMID: 21631380; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3136739.
45. Jeff Knaggs^, Kelly Larkin^, Todd Manini*. Metabolic Cost of Daily Activities and Effect of Mobility Impairment in Older Adults. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2011 Nov; 59(11):2118-23. PMID: 22091979.
46. Keith McGregor^; Zvinka Zlatar^; Erin Kleim; Atchar Sudhyadhom; Andrew Bauer; Stephanie Phan; Lauren Seeds; Anastasia Ford; Todd Manini, PhD; Keith D White; Jeffrey Kleim; Bruce Crosson. Physical Activity and Neural Correlates of Aging: A Combined TMS/fMRI Study. Behavioural Brain Research. 2011 Sep; 222(1): 158-68. PMID: 21440574.
47. Middleton LE^, Manini TM, Simonsick EM, Harris TB, Barne, DE, Tylavsky F, Brach JS, Everhart JE, Yaffe K. Activity energy expenditure and incidence cognitive impairment in older adults. Archives of Internal Medicine. 2011 Jul 25;171(14):1251-7.
48. Dawn C. Mackey, Todd M. Manini, Dale Schoeller, Annemarie Koster, Nancy W. Glynn, Bret H. Goodpaster, Suzanne Satterfield, Anne B. Newman, Tamara B. Harris, Steven R. Cummings. Validation of an Armband to
Measure Daily Energy Expenditure in Older Adults. Journals of Gerontology: Medical Sciences. 2011 Oct; 66(10):1108-13.
49. Gregory J. Tranah, PhD; Todd M. Manini, PhD; Kurt K. Lohman, PhD; Michael A. Nalls, PhD; Stephen Kritchevsky, PhD; Anne B. Newman, PhD; Tamara B. Harris, MD; Iva Miljkovic, MD, PhD; Alessandro Biffihi, MD; Steven R Cummings, MD; and Yongmei Liu, PhD for the Health, Aging and Body Composition Study. Mitochondrial DNA variation in human metabolic rate and energy expenditure: The Health, Aging and Body Composition Study. Mitochondrian. 2011 Nov; 11(6):855-61.
50. Thomas W. Buford^, Donovan J. Lott, Emanuele Marzetti, Stephanie E. Wohlgemuth, Krista Vandenborne, Marco Pahor, Christiaan Leeuwenburgh, Todd M. Manini*. Aging of Lower Extremity Tissue Compartments and Associations with Physical Function in Older Adults. Experimental Gerontology. 2012 Jan;47(1):38-44.
51. Kelly M. Naugle^, Torrance J. Higgins^, Todd Manini*. Obesity and use of compensatory strategies to perform common daily activities in pre-clinically disabled older adults. Archives of Geriatrics and Gerontology. 2012 Mar-Apr;54(2):e134-8.
52. Emanuele Marzetti, Stephanie E. Wohlgemuth, Hazel A. Lees, Todd M. Manini, Thomas W. Buford, Juan M. Aranda Jr., Riccardo Calvani, Giorgio Capuani, Michael Marsiske, Roberto Bernabei, Marco Pahor, Christiaan Leeuwenburgh. Skeletal muscle apoptotic signaling predicts thigh muscle volume and gait speed in community-dwelling older persons: an exploratory study. PLoS ONE. 2012;7(2):e32829. PubMed PMID: 22389725; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3289676.
53. John M. Mayer, James E. Graves, Todd M. Manini, James L. Nuzzo, Ploutz-Snyder. Lumbar Muscle Activity during Common Lifts: a Preliminary Study using Magnetic Resonance Imaging. Journal of Applied Biomechanics. 2013 Apr;29(2):147-54. PubMed PMID: 22814283.
54. Jeff Parr, Paul Borsa, Roger Fillingim, Mark Tillman, Todd Manini, Chris Gregory, Steven George. Pain Related Fear and Catastrophizing Predict Pain Intensity and Disability Independently Using an Induced Muscle Injury Model. The Journal of Pain. J Pain. 2012 Apr;13(4):370-8. PubMed PMID: 22424914; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3321109.
55. Fielding RA, Rejeski WJ, Blair S, Church T, Espeland MA, Gill TM, Guralnik JM, Hsu FC, Katula J, King AC, Kritchevsky SB, McDermott MM, Miller ME, Nayfield S, Newman AB, Williamson JD, Bonds D, Romashkan S,
Hadley E, Pahor M; LIFE Research Group. The Lifestyle Interventions and Independence for Elders Study: design and methods. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2011 Nov;66(11):1226-37. Epub 2011 Aug 8.PubMed PMID: 21825283; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3193523. Listed as part of the LIFE Research Group.
56. Buford TW, Manini TM, Hsu FC, Cesari M, Anton SD, Nayfield S, Stafford RS, Church TS, Pahor M, Carter CS. Angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitor use by older adults is associated with greater functional responses to exercise. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2012 Jul;60(7):1244-52. PubMed PMID: 22726232; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3625953.
57. Todd M. Manini*, Brian C. Clark, Joshua F, Yarrow, Christine F. Conover, Stephen E. Borst. Growth hormone responses to acute resistance exercise with vascular restriction in young and old men. Growth Horm IGF Res. 2012 Oct;22(5):167-72. PubMed PMID: 22727808; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3915940.
58. Tranah GJ, Lam ET, Katzman SM, Nalls MA, Zhao Y, Evans DS, Yokoyama JS, Pawlikowska L, Kwok PY, Mooney S, Kritchevsky S, Goodpaster BH, Newman AB, Harris TB, Manini TM, Cummings SR, Health, Aging and Body Composition Study. Mitochondrial DNA sequence variation is associated with free-living activity energy expenditure in the elderly. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2012 Sep;1817(9):1691-700. PubMed PMID: 22659402; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3389152.
59. Larkin KA, Macneil RG, Dirain M, Sandesara B, Manini TM, Buford TW. Blood flow restriction enhances post-resistance exercise angiogenic gene expression. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2012 Nov;44(11):2077-83. PubMed PMID: 22677927; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3633075.
60. Joseph AM, Adhihetty PJ, Buford TW, Wohlgemuth SE, Lees HA, Nguyen LM, Aranda JM, Sandesara BD, Pahor M, Manini TM, Marzetti E, Leeuwenburgh C. The impact of aging on mitochondrial function and biogenesis pathways in skeletal muscle of sedentary high- and low-functioning elderly individuals. Aging Cell. 2012 Oct;11(5):801-9. PubMed PMID: 22681576; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3444680.
61. Higgins TJ, Janelle CM, Naugle KM, Knaggs J, Hoover BM, Marsiske M, Manini TM*. Role of self-efficacy (SE) and anxiety among pre-clinically disabled older adults when using compensatory strategies to complete daily tasks. Arch Gerontol Geriatr. 2012 Nov-Dec;55(3):611-24. PubMed PMID: 22770713; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3433642.
62. Coen PM, Jubrias SA, Distefano G, Amati F, Mackey DC, Glynn NW, Manini TM, Wohlgemuth SE, Leeuwenburgh C, Cummings SR, Newman AB, Ferrucci L, Toledo FG, Shankland E, Conley KE, Goodpaster BH. Skeletal muscle mitochondrial energetics are associated with maximal aerobic capacity and walking speed in older adults. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2013 Apr;68(4):447-55. PubMed PMID: 23051977; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3593613.
63. Heffernan KS, Manini TM, Blair SN, Hsu F, Nicklas BJ, Kritchevsky SB, Newman AB, Church TS, Sutton-Tyrell K, Haskell W, Karas RH, Kuvin JT, Fielding RA. Relation of pulse pressure to long-distance gait speed in community-dwelling older adults: Findings from the LIFE-P study. PLoS One. 2012;7(11):e49544.
64. McGregor KM, Heilman KM, Nocera JR, Patten C, Manini TM, Crosson B, Butler AJ. Aging, aerobic activity and interhemispheric communication. Brain Sci. 2012 Nov 16;2(4):634-48. PubMed PMID: 24961264; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4061818.
65. Manini TM, Buford TW, Lott DJ, Vandenborne K, Daniels MJ, Knaggs JD, Patel H, Pahor M, Perri MG, Anton SD. Effect of dietary restriction and exercise on lower extremity tissue compartments in obese, older women: a pilot study. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2014 Jan; 69(1):101-8. Epub 2013 May 16. PubMed PMID: 23682155.
66. Clark DJ, Manini TM, Fielding RA, Patten C. Neuromuscular determinants of maximum walking speed in well-functioning older adults. Exp Gerontol. 2013 Mar;48(3):358-63. PubMed PMID: 23376102; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3594593.
67. Zlatar ZZ^, McGregor KM^, Dzierzewski JM, Bauer J, Phan S, Towler S, Cohen M, Marsiske M, Manini TM, Crosson B. Functional language networks in sedentary and physically active older adults. J. Int. Neuropsychological Society (JINS).
68. Buford TW, Macneil RG, Clough LG, Dirain M, Sandesara B, Pahor M, Manini TM, Leeuwenburgh C. Active muscle regeneration following eccentric contraction-induced injury is similar between healthy young and older adults. J Appl Physiol. 2013 Mar 14. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 23493365.
69. Parr J, Borsa P, Fillingim R, Kaiser K, Tillman MD, Manini TM, Gregory C, George S. Psychological influences predict recovery following exercise induced shoulder pain. Int J Sports Med. 2014 Mar;35(3):232-7. PubMed PMID: 24022571.
70. Jamie A Cooper, Todd M Manini, Chad M Paton, Yosuke Yamada, James E Everhart, Steve Cummings, Dawn C Mackey, Anne B Newman, Nancy W Glynn, Fran Tylavsky, Tamara Harris and Dale A Schoeller. Longitudinal change in energy expenditure and effects on energy requirements of the elderly. Nutr J. 2013 Jun 6;12(1):73. PMID: 23742706 PMCID: PMC3679966.
71. Tranah GJ, Yokoyama JS, Katzman SM, Nalls MA, Newman AB, Harris TB, Cesari M, Manini TM, Schork NJ, Cummings SR, Liu Y, Yaffe K, Health, Aging and Body Composition Study. Mitochondrial DNA sequence associations with dementia and amyloid-β in elderly African Americans. Neurobiol Aging. 2014 Feb;35(2):442.e1-8. PubMed PMID: 24140124; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4019378.
72. Bell CL, LaCroix A, Masaki K, Hade EM, Manini T, Mysiw WJ, Curb JD, Wassertheil-Smoller S. Prestroke factors associated with poststroke mortality and recovery in older women in the Women’s Health Initiative. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2013 Aug;61(8):1324-30. PubMed PMID: 23869842; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3743941.
73. Vellas B, Pahor M, Manini T, Rooks D, Guralnik JM, Morley J, Studenski S, Evans W, Asbrand C, Fariello R, Pereira S, Rolland Y, Abellan van Kan G, Cesari M, Chumlea WC, Fielding R. Designing pharmaceutical trials for sarcopenia in frail older adults: EU/US Task Force recommendations. J Nutr Health Aging. 2013 Jul;17(7):612-8. PubMed PMID: 23933872; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4077187.
74. Higgins TJ, Janelle CM, Manini TM*. Diving below the surface of progressive disability: considering compensatory strategies as evidence of sub-clinical disability. J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci. 2014 Mar;69(2):263-74. PubMed PMID: 24170713; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3968860.
75. Manini TM*, Lamonte MJ, Seguin RA, Manson JE, Hingle M, Garcia L, Stefanick ML, Rodriguez B, Sims S, Song Y, Limacher M. Modifying effect of obesity on the association between sitting and incident diabetes in post-menopausal women. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2014 Apr;22(4):1133-41. PubMed PMID: 24123945; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3968183.
76. Endeshaw Y; Rice TB; Schwartz AV; Stone KL; Manini TM; Satterfield S; Cummings S; Harris T; Pahor M; for the Health ABC Study. Snoring, daytime sleepiness, and incident cardiovascular disease in the health, aging, and body composition study. SLEEP 2013;36(11):1737-1745.
77. Rillamas-Sun E, LaCroix AZ, Waring ME, Kroenke CH, LaMonte MJ, Vitolins MZ, Seguin R, Bell CL, Gass M, Manini TM, Masaki KH, Wallace RB. Obesity and late-age survival without major disease or disability in older women. JAMA Intern Med. 2014 Jan;174(1):98-106. PubMed PMID: 24217806; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3963496.
78. McGregor KM, Nocera JR, Sudhyadhom A, Patten C, Manini TM, Kleim JA, Crosson B, Butler AJ. Effects of aerobic fitness on aging-related changes of interhemispheric inhibition and motor performance. Front Aging Neurosci. 2013;5:66. PubMed PMID: 24198784; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3812779.
79. Seguin R, Buchner DM, Liu J, Allison M, Manini TM, Wang CY, Manson JE, Messina CR, Patel MJ, Moreland L, Stefanick ML, Lacroix AZ. Sedentary behavior and mortality in older women: the Women’s Health Initiative. Am J Prev Med. 2014 Feb;46(2):122-35. PubMed PMID: 24439345; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3896923.
80. Tranah GJ, Yokoyama JS, Katzman SM, Nalls MA, Newman AB, Harris TB, Cesari M, Manini TM, Schork NJ, Cummings SR, Liu Y, Yaffe K; for the Health, Aging and Body Composition Study. Mitochondrial DNA sequence associations with dementia and amyloid-β in elderly African Americans. Neurobiol Aging. 2013 Oct 17. doi:pii: S0197-4580(13)00236-4. 10.1016/j.neurobiolaging.2013.05.023. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 24140124 [PubMed – as supplied by publisher].
81. Goodman D, Park H, Stefanick M, LeBlanc E, Bea J, Qi L, Kapphahn K, LaMonte M, Manini TM, Desai M, Anton-Culver H. Relation Between Self-Recalled Childhood Physical Activity And Adult Physical Activity: The Women’s Health Initiative. Open Journal of Epidemiology (OJEpi), Vol.3 No.4, November 25, 2013.
82: Rejeski WJ, Axtell R, Fielding R, Katula J, King AC, Manini TM, Marsh AP, Pahor M, Rego A, Tudor-Locke C, Newman M, Walkup MP, Miller ME; LIFE Study Investigator Group. Promoting physical activity for elders with compromised function: the lifestyle Interventions and Independence for elders (LIFE) study physical activity intervention. Clin Interv Aging. 2013;8:1119-31. doi: 10.2147/CIA.S49737. Epub 2013 Sep 12. PubMed PMID: 24049442; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3775623.
83. Vaz Fragoso CA, Beavers DP, Hankinson JL, Flynn G, Berra K, Kritchevsky SB, Liu CK, McDermott MM, Manini TM, Rejeski WJ, Gill TM, Lifestyle Interventions Independence for Elders Study Investigators. Respiratory impairment and dyspnea and their associations with physical inactivity and mobility in sedentary community-dwelling older persons. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2014 Apr;62(4):622-8. PubMed PMID: 24635756; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3989438.
84. Cannell MB^, Manini TM, Spence-Almaguer E, Maldonado-Molina M, Andresen EM. U.S. population estimates and correlates of sexual abuse of community-dwelling older adults. J Elder Abuse Negl. 2014;26(4):398-413. PubMed PMID: 24410194
85. Hall KS, Morey MC, Dutta C, Manini TM, Weltman AL, Nelson ME, Morgan AL, Senior JG, Seyffarth C, Buchner DM. Activity-related energy expenditure in older adults: a call for more research. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2014 Dec;46(12):2335-40. PubMed PMID: 24714651; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4188802.
86. Anton SD, Embry C, Marsiske M, Lu X, Doss H, Leeuwenburgh C, Manini TM*. Safety and metabolic outcomes of resveratrol supplementation in older adults: results of a twelve-week, placebo-controlled pilot study. Exp Gerontol. 2014 Sep;57:181-7. PubMed PMID: 24866496; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4149922.
87. Vaz Fragoso CA, Hsu FC, Brinkley T, Church T, Liu CK, Manini T, Newman AB, Stafford RS, McDermott MM, Gill TM, LIFE Study Group. Combined reduced forced expiratory volume in 1 second (FEV1) and peripheral artery disease in sedentary elders with functional limitations. J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2014 Sep;15(9):665-70. PubMed PMID: 24973990; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4145029.
88. Pahor M, Guralnik JM, Ambrosius WT, Blair S, Bonds DE, Church TS, Espeland MA, Fielding RA, Gill TM, Groessl EJ, King AC, Kritchevsky SB, Manini TM, McDermott MM, Miller ME, Newman AB, Rejeski WJ, Sink KM, Williamson JD, LIFE study investigators. Effect of structured physical activity on prevention of major mobility disability in older adults: the LIFE study randomized clinical trial. JAMA. 2014 Jun 18;311(23):2387-96. PubMed PMID: 24866862.
89. Zheng C, Beresford SA, Van Horn L, Tinker LF, Thomson CA, Neuhouser ML, Di C, Manson JE, Mossavar-Rahmani Y, Seguin R, Manini T, LaCroix AZ, Prentice RL. Simultaneous association of total energy consumption and activity-related energy expenditure with risks of cardiovascular disease, cancer, and diabetes among postmenopausal women. Am J Epidemiol. 2014 Sep 1;180(5):526-35. PubMed PMID: 25016533; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4143077.
90. Manini TM*, Carr LJ, King AC, Marshall S, Robinson TN, Rejeski WJ. Interventions to reduce sedentary behavior. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2015 Jun;47(6):1306-10. PubMed PMID: 25222818; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4362870.
91. Emanuele Marzetti, Francesco Landi, Federico Marini, Matteo Cesari, Thomas W. Buford, Todd M. Manini, Graziano Onder, Marco Pahor, Roberto Bernabei, Christiaan Leeuwenburgh, Riccardo Calvani. Patterns of circulating inflammatory biomarkers in older persons with varying levels of physical performance: a Partial Least Squares–Discriminant Analysis (PLS–DA) approach. Frontiers in Medicine, Section Geriatric Medicine. Published September 1st 2014. doi: 10.3389/fmed.2014.00027
92. David Bann, Don Hire, Todd Manini, Rachel Cooper, Anda Botoseneanu, Mary M. McDermott, Marco Pahor, Nancy W Glynn, Roger Fielding, Abby C King, Timothy Church, Walter T Ambrosius, Thomas Gill for the LIFE Study Group. Light intensity physical activity and sedentary behavior in relation to body mass index and grip strength in older adults: cross-sectional findings from the Lifestyle Interventions and Independence for Elders (LIFE) study. PLOS ONE. 2015 Feb 3;10(2):e0116058.
93. Fitzgerald D, L Johnson, DG Hire, WT Ambrosius, SD Anton, JA Dodson, AP Marsh, MM McDermott, JR Nocera, C Tudor-Locke, DK White, V Yank, M Pahor, TM Manini, TW Buford for LIFE Study Research Group. Association of Objectively-measured Physical Activity with Cardiovascular Risk in Mobility-limited Older Adults. J Amer Heart Assoc. 2015 Feb 18;4(2).
94. Rejeski WJ, Julia Rushing, Jack M. Guralnik, Edward H. Ip, Abby C. King, Todd M. Manini, Anthony P. Marsh1, Mary M. McDermott, Roger A. Fielding, Anne B. Newman, Catrine Tudor-Locke, and Thomas M.Gill, for the LIFE Study Group. The MAT-sf: Identifying Risk for Major Mobility Disability. Journals of Gerontology: Medical Sciences. 2015 May;70(5):641-6.
95. Kurti AN, Logan H, Manini TM, Dallery J. Physical Activity Behavior, Barriers to Activity, and Opinions About a Smartphone-Based Physical Activity Intervention Among Rural Residents. Telemed J E Health. 2015 Jan;21(1):16-23. PubMed PMID: 25379976, Pubmed Central in process #: NIHMS656824.
96. Espeland, M., Newman A, Kaycee Sink; Thomas M. Gill; Abby C. King; Mike E. Miller; Jack Guralnik; Jeff Katula; Timothy Church; Todd Manini; Kieran F. Reid; and Mary McDermott for the LIFE Study Group. Associations Between Ankle-Brachial Index and Cognitive Function: Results from the Lifestyle Interventions and Independence for Elders Trial. Journal of the American Medical Directors Association. 2015 Aug 1;16(8):682-9.
97. Sarah M. Szymkowicz, Molly E. McLaren, Joshua W. Kirton, Andrew O’Shea, Adam J. Woods, Todd M. Manini, Stephen D. Anton, and Vonetta M. Dotson. Depressive Symptom Severity Is Associated with Increased Cortical Thickness in Older Adults. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry. 2016 Apr;31(4):325-33.
98. TW Buford, RB Fillingim, TM Manini, KT Sibille, KR Vincent, SS Wu. Kaatsu training to enhance physical function of older adults with knee osteoarthritis: Design of a randomized, controlled trial. Contemporary Clinical Trials. 2015 Jul;43:217-22.
99. Tranah GT, Yaffe K, Lam ET, Katzman SM, Pawlikowska L, Kwok P, Schork N, Manini TM, Kritchevsky S, Fridtjof Thomas F, Newman AB, Harris TB, Coleman AL, Gorin MB, Helzner EP, Rowbotham MC, Browner WS, and Cummings SR for the Health, Aging and Body Composition Study. Mitochondrial DNA heteroplasmy associations with age-related neurosensory and mobility decline. Journals of Gerontology: Medical Science. 2015 Nov;70(11):1418-24.
100. Cannell MB^, Weitlauf JC, Garcia L, Andresen EM, Margolis KL, Manini TM*. Cross-sectional and longitudinal risk of physical impairment in a cohort of postmenopausal women who experience physical and verbal abuse. BMC Womens Health. 2015 Nov 11; 15:98. PubMed PMID: 26554450; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4641397
101. Dotson VM, Manini TM, Pahor M, Langaee T, Chi F, King AC, Cohen R, Kritchevsky S, Myers V, Newman A. Genetic Moderators of the Impact of Physical Activity on Depressive Symptoms. Journal of Frailty & Aging. In press.
102. Akhtar-Khaleel WZ, Cook RL, Shoptaw S, Surkan PJ, Teplin LA, Stall R, Beyth RJ, Manini TM, Plankey M. Long-Term Cigarette Smoking Trajectories Among HIV-Seropositive and Seronegative MSM in the Multicenter AIDS Cohort Study. AIDS Behav. 2016 Feb 27.
103. Sink KM, Espeland MA, Rushing J, Castro CM, Church TS, Cohen R, Gill TM, Henkin L, Jennings JM, Kerwin DR, Manini TM, Myers V, Pahor M, Reid KF, Woolard N, Rapp SR, Williamson JD; LIFE Investigators. The LIFE Cognition Study: design and baseline characteristics. Clin Interv Aging. 2014 Aug 27;9:1425-36.
104. Sink KM, Espeland MA, Castro CM, Church T, Cohen R, Dodson JA, Guralnik J, Hendrie HC, Jennings J, Katula J, Lopez OL, McDermott MM, Pahor M, Reid KF, Rushing J, Verghese J, Rapp S, Williamson JD; LIFE Study Investigators. (Manini TM listed as part of the LIFE study investigative group). Effect of a 24-Month Physical Activity Intervention vs Health Education on Cognitive Outcomes in Sedentary Older Adults: The LIFE Randomized Trial. Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA). 2015 Aug 25;314(8):781-90.
105. Abby C King, Ph.D; Deborah Salvo, PhD; Jorge Banda, PhD; David K Ahn, PhD; Thomas M Gill, MD; Michael Miller, PhD; Anne B. Newman, MD; Roger A Fielding, PhD; Carlos Siordia, PhD; Spencer Moore, PhD; Sara Folta, PhD; Bonnie Spring, PhD; Todd Manini, PhD; Marco Pahor, MD. An Observational Study Identifying Obese Subgroups Among Older Adults at Increased Risk of Mobility Disability: Do Perceptions of the Neighborhood Environment Matter? International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity. In press.
106. Erik J. Groessl, Robert M. Kaplan, Cynthia Castro, Timothy Church5, Mark Espeland, Tom Gill, Nancy W. Glynn, Abby C. King, Steve Kritchevsky, Todd Manini, Mary McDermott, Kieran Ried, Julia Rushing, Marco Pahor.
Cost-Effectiveness of the LIFE Physical Activity Intervention for Older Adults at Increased Risk for Mobility Disability. Journals of Gerontology: Medical Sciences. In press.
107. Clark BC, Manini TM*. Can KAATSU Exercise Cause Rhabdomyolysis? Clinical Journal of Sport Medicine. 2016 Feb 5. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 26882107.
108. Vincenzo Valiani, Shiyao Gao, Zhiguo Chen, Sunil Swami, Christopher A. Harle, Gigi Lipori, Sandrine Sourdet, Samuel Wu, Susan G. Nayfield, Carlo Sabbá, Marco Pahor, and Todd M. Manini. In-hospital Mobility Variations across Primary Diagnoses among Older Adults. Journal of the American Medical Directors Association. In press.
109. Shinichi Amano, Arimi Fitri, Rachel Clift, Masato Nakazawa, Timothy D. Law, Laura J. Rush, Todd M. Manini, James S. Thomas, David W. Russ, Brian C. Clark. Effectiveness of blood flow restricted exercise compared with standard exercise in patients with recurrent low back pain: study protocol for a randomized controlled trial. Trials. In press.
110. Amal A. Wanigatunga^, Sandrine S. Sourdet, Michael J. LaMonte4, Molly E. Waring, Rami Nassir, Lorena Garcia, Jennifer W. Bea, Rebecca A. Seguin, Judith K. Ockene, Gloria E. Sarto, Marcia L. Stefanick, Marian Limacher, Todd M. Manini* for the Women’s Health Initiative Investigators. Physical impairment and body weight history in postmenopausal women: The Women’s Health Initiative. Public Health Nutrition. In press.
111. Manini TM* & Clark BC. Results from a web-based survey to identify dynapenia screening tools and risk factors. Journal of Cachexia, Sarcopenia and Muscle. In press.
112. Valiani V^, Corbett DB^, Knaggs JD and Manini TM*. Metabolic Rate and Perceived Exertion of Walking in Older Adults with Idiopathic Chronic Fatigue. Journals of Gerontology: Medical Sciences. In press
113. Riccardo Calvani, Federico Marini, Matteo Cesari, Thomas W. Buford, Todd M. Manini, Marco Pahor, Christiaan Leeuwenburgh, Roberto Bernabei, Francesco Landi, Emanuele Marzetti. Relationship among systemic inflammation, body composition and physical performance in advanced age: An exploratory study based on multi-block PLS-DA modeling. Journal of Cachexia, Sarcopenia and Muscle. In Press.
114. Corbett, D., Valiani, V., Knaggs, J., and Manini, TM* (2016). Evaluating walking metabolic intensity with hip-worn accelerometers in elders. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise (Accepted 6/9/2016). In Press. NIHMSID
115. Nicholas R. Wawrzyniak, Anna-Maria Joseph, David G. Levin, David M. Gundermann, Christiaan Leeuwenburgh, Bhanuprasad Sandesara, Todd M. Manini*, and Peter J. Adhihetty*. Idiopathic Chronic Fatigue in Older Adults is linked to Impaired Mitochondrial Content and Biogenesis Signaling in Skeletal Muscle. Oncotarget: Gerotarget. In Press.
116. Snyder PJ, Bhasin S, Cunningham GR, Matsumoto AM, Stephens-Shields AJ, Cauley JA, Gill TM, Barrett-Connor E, Swerdloff RS, Wang C, Ensrud KE, Lewis CE, Farrar JT, Cella D, Rosen RC, Pahor M, Crandall JP, Molitch ME, Cifelli D, Dougar D, Fluharty L, Resnick SM, Storer TW, Anton S, Basaria S, Diem SJ, Hou X, Mohler ER 3rd, Parsons JK, Wenger NK, Zeldow B, Landis JR, Ellenberg SS (Manini TM listed as a collaborator of the T-Trial investigative group); Testosterone Trials Investigators. Effects of Testosterone Treatment in Older Men. New England Journal of Medicine. 2016 Feb 18;374(7):611-24.
117. Calvani R, Marini F, Cesari M, Buford TW, Manini TM, Pahor M, Leeuwenburgh C, Bernabei R, Landi F, Marzetti E. Relationship among systemic inflammation, body composition and physical performance in advanced age: An exploratory study based on multi-block PLS-DA modeling. Journal of Cachexia, Sarcopenia and Muscle. In Press.
118. Gill TM, Pahor M, Guralnik JM, McDermott MM, King AC, Buford TW, Strotmeyer ES, Nelson ME, Sink KM, Demons JL, Kashaf SS, Walkup MP, Miller ME (Manini TM listed as a collaborator of the LIFE research group); LIFE Study Investigators. Effect of structured physical activity on prevention of serious fall injuries in adults aged 70-89: randomized clinical trial (LIFE Study). British Medical Journal. 2016 Feb 3;352: i245.
119. AS Layne, FC Hsu, SN Blair, SH Chen, J Dungan, RA Fielding, NW Glynn, AM Hajduk, AC King, TM Manini, AP Marsh, M Pahor, CA Pellegrini, TW Buford, LIFE Study Investigators. Predictors of change in physical function among older adults in response to long-term, structured physical activity: The LIFE Study. Archives PM&R. (in press)
120. Kheirkhahan, Matin^; Tudor-Locke, Catrine; Axtell, Robert; Buman, Matthew; Fielding, Roger; Glynn, Nancy; Guralnik, Jack; King, Abby; White, Daniel; Miller, Michael; Siddique, Juned; Brubaker, Peter; Rejeski, W. Jack; Ranshous, Stephen; Pahor, Marco; Ranka, Sanjay; Manini, Todd M*. Actigraphy features for predicting mobility disability in older adults. Physiological Measurement. In Press
121. Sanjay Nair^, Matin Kheirkhahan, Anis Davoodi, Parisa Rashidi, Todd M. Manini, Sanjay Ranka. ROAMM: A Software Infrastructure for Real-time Monitoring of Personal Health. Pear review Conference Proceedings. Proceedings of IEEE Healthcom 2016 and the IEEE eXplore. September 2016.
122. Aladdin H. Shadyab, Andrea Z. LaCroix, Caroline A. Macera; Richard A. Shaffer, Sonia Jain, Linda C. Gallo, Alexander P. Reiner, Charles Kooperberg, Cara L. Carty, Chongzhi Di, Todd M. Manini, Michael J. LaMonte, Lifang Hou, Abraham Aviv. Association of Accelerometer-Measured and Self-Reported Sedentary Time with Leukocyte Telomere Length in Older Women. Am J of Epidemiology. In Press
123. Wanigatunga A^, Nickerson P, Manini TM, Rashidi P. Using symbolic aggregate approximation (SAX) to visualize activity transitions among older adults. Physiological Measurement. In Press.
124. Todd M. Manini*, Daniel P. Beavers, Marco Pahor, Jack M. Guralnik, Bonnie Spring, Timothy S. Church, Abby C. King, Sara C. Folta, Nancy W. Glynn, Anthony P. Marsh, Thomas M. Gill for the LIFE study investigators. Effect of Physical Activity on Self-reported Disability in Older Adults: Results from The LIFE Study. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. In Press.
125. Martine Extermann*, Christiaan Leeuwenburgh, Laila Samiian, Marina Sehovic,Jinze Xu, Christopher Cubitt, Paul B. Jacobsen, Marco Pahor, Stephen R. Grobmyer, Todd M. Manini*. Impact of chemotherapy on medium-term physical function and activity of older breast cancer survivors, and associated biomarkers. Journal of Geriatric Oncology. In Press.