Laurence M. Solberg, M.D.
Clinical Associate Professor and Chief, Division of Geriatric Medicine and Division of Career Development and Education
2004 Mowry Road, Gainesville, Fl 32611
PO Box 100107, Gainesville, FL 32610.
Hospital of Saint Raphael
Yale New Haven Medical Center
Dr. Laurence M. Solberg earned his medical degree from the Jagiellonian University in Krakow Poland. He completed his residency training in internal medicine and fellowship training in geriatric medicine at Yale University School of Medicine in New Haven, Connecticut. Dr. Solberg then joined a private practice of geriatrics at the Lahey Clinic in Burlington Massachusetts. He was the medical director of an Acute Rehabilitation facility and a Long Term Care facility and also the director of geriatric medical education. He also did research on caregiver stress in dementia patients.
Dr. Solberg moved to Vanderbilt University School of Medicine to pursue an academic career with medical student and resident education focusing on the use of automated "just-in-time" learning integrated with geriatrics consultations in the hospital. While at Vanderbilt University School of Medicine he was awarded a geriatrics academic career award (GACA) from HRSA. Dr. Solberg's research focused on nursing recognition of delirium in the hospitalized older patient and the communication between nurses and doctors using electronic order sets and computerized decision support tools. He published several articles on these topics.
Dr. Solberg is active in the American Geriatrics Society serving on the program planning committee and the Junior Faculty Development Task Force. He is a frequent speaker at national symposia and has presented many abstracts at national scientific meetings. In 2012 Dr. Solberg was inducted as a fellow in the American Geriatrics Society for contributions to the field in clinical, educational, and research activities.
In 2013 Dr. Solberg was recruited to join the faculty at the University of Florida as the Chief of the Division of Geriatric Medicine and the Chief of the Division of Career Development and Education. He is the Ruth Jewett Professor of Geriatric Medicine at the University of Florida. Under Dr. Solberg's leadership the division of geriatric medicine is growing in patient care opportunities and faculty. Dr. Solberg is also affiliated with the Malcom Randall VA Medical Center, NF/SGVHS with an appointment in the Geriatric Research Education Clinical Center (GRECC) focusing on the effort to avoid readmissions to the hospital in the older veteran population.
Clinical Associate Professor and Chief. Geriatric Medicine Division
Geriatric Medicine and ndash; ABIM 2006
Internal Medicine and ndash; ABIM 2005
Fellowship - American Geriatric Society 2012
Department of Health and Human Services, Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA), Geriatric Academic Career Award (K01HP20520-01-00) 2010
- Geriatric Medicine
- Internal Medicine
Delirium in hospitalized older patients
Hospital Care of Elders
Stress in caregivers of dementia patients
Medical Education with automated "just-in-time" learning
- Solberg LM, Plummer CE, May K, MSN, Mion LC; “A Quality Improvement Program To Increase Nurses’ Detection Of Delirium On An Acute Medical Unit” Geriatr Nurs. 2013 Jan;34(1):75-9.
- Solberg LM, Porier R, Powers JS, “Geriatric Consults offer help and maybe education” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 2012 May;60(5):993-4
- Solberg, LM “Care of hospitalized elders – a case presentation and group discussion exercise.” The Portal of Geriatric Online Education (POGOe); 2012, http://www.pogoe.org/productid/21137.
- Alessandro Morandi, MD, Eduard Eric Vasilevskis, MD, Pratik Pandharipande, MD, MSCI, Timothy D. Girard, MD, MSCI, Laurence M. Solberg, MD, Erin B. Neal, PharmD, Tyler Koestner, MS, Renee Torres, MS, Jennifer L. Thompson, MPH, Ayumi Shintani, PhD, MPH, Jin HoHan, MD, MSc, John Schnelle, PhD, Donna M. Fick, PhD, E. Wesley Ely, MD, MPH, Sunil Kripalani, MD, MSc; “Inappropriate Medications in Elderly ICU Survivors: Where to Intervene?”; Archives of Internal Medicine 2011;171(11):1032-1034.
- Solberg, LM “Quick Reference for Geriatric Syndromes”, The Portal of Geriatric Online Education (POGOe); 2010, Available from: http://www.pogoe.org/productid/20647.
- Jin H. Han, MD, MSc, Ayumi Shintani, PhD, Svetlana Eden, MS, Alessandro Morandi, MD, Laurence Solberg, MD, John Schnelle, PhD, Robert S. Dittus, MD, MPH, Alan B. Storrow, MD, E. Wesley Ely, MD, MPH; “Delirium in the Emergency Department: An Independent Predictor of Death Within 6 Months.”; Annals of Emergency Medicine. 01-SEP-2010; 56(3): 244-252.e1
- A Morandi, L. Solberg, et al; “Documentation and Management of Words Associated With Delirium Among Elderly Patients in Postacute Care: A Pilot Investigation.” Journal of the American Medical Directors Association. 2009; 10:330-334.