Buford, Thomas Ph.D.
TitleAssistant Professor and Director, Health Promotion Center
Address2004 Mowry Road, Gainesville, Fl 32611
PO Box 100107, Gainesville
Health Promotion Center
Shands / UF Health Science Center
1395 Center Drive, Room DG-22
PO Box 100169
Gainesville, FL 32610
Departmental AffiliationDepartment of Aging and Geriatric Research, Division of Clinical Research, College of Medicine, University of Florida
EducationPhD: Baylor University, Health Sciences (Interdisciplinary)
Assistant Professor, Aging and Geriatric Research, College of Medicine, University of Florida
Adjunct Assistant Professor, Applied Physiology and Kinesiology, College of Health and Human Performance, University of Florida
Professional InterestsSarcopenia and age-related functional decline
Sources of variability in responsiveness to exercise
Methods to enhance the efficacy of exercise on functional outcomes
For additional information on Dr. Buford’s publications, please visit:
- Vaz Fragoso CA, Beavers DP, Hankinson JL, Flynn G, Berra K, Kritchevsky SB, Liu CK, McDermott MM, Manini TM, Rejeski JW, Gill TM; LIFE Study Investigators. Respiratory Impairment and Dyspnea and Their Associations with Physical Inactivity and Mobility in Sedentary Community-Dwelling Older Persons. J Am Geriatr Soc. (in press)
- MB Cooke, B Brabham, TW Buford, BD Shelmadine, M McPheeters, GM Hudson, C Stathis, M Greenwood, R Kreider, and DS Willoughby. Creatine supplementation post exercise does not enhance training-induced adaptations in middle to older aged males. Eur J Appl Physiol. (in press)
- TW Buford*, FC Hsu, TE Brinkley, CS Carter, TS Church, JA Dodson, BH Goodpaster, MM McDermott, BJ Nicklas, V Yank, JA Johnson, M Pahor, LIFE Research Group. Genetic influence of Exercise-Induced Changes in Physical Function among Mobility-Limited Older Adults. Physiological Genomics. (in press)
- TW Buford*, SD Anton. Resveratrol as a supplement to exercise training: Friend or Foe? J Physiol. 592(3): 551-552. 2014.
- TW Buford*, SD Anton, DJ Clark, TJ Higgins, MB Cooke. Optimizing the Benefits of Exercise on Physical Function in Older Adults. PM&R. S1934-1482(13)01187-8. 2013.
- MM McDermott, WB Applegate, DE Bonds, TW Buford, T Church, MA Espeland, TM Gill, JM Guralnik, W Haskell, LC Lovato, M Pahor, CJ Pepine, KF Reid, A Newman. Ankle Brachial Index Values, Leg Symptoms, and Functional Performance among Community-Dwelling Older Men and Women in the Lifestyle Interventions and Independence for Elders (LIFE) Study. J Am Heart Assoc. 2(6): e000257. 2013.
- WJ Rejeski, R Axtell, R Fielding, J Katula, AC King, TM Manini, AP Marsh, M Pahor, A Rego, C Tudor-Locke, M Newman, MP Walkup, ME Miller, LIFE Study Investigator Group. Promoting physical activity for elders with compromised function: the Lifestyle Interventions and Independence for Elders (LIFE) Study physical activity intervention. Clin Interv Aging. 8: 1119-31. 2013.
- CW McDonough, NK Gillis, A Alsultan, SW Chang, M Kawaguchi-Suzuki, JE Lang, MHA Shahin, TW Buford, NM El Rouby, ACC Sa, TY Langaee, JG Gums, AB Chapman, RM Cooper-DeHoff, ST Turner, Y Gong, JA Johnson. Atenolol Induced HDL-C Change in the Pharmacogenomic Evaluation of Antihypertensive Responses (PEAR) Study. PLOS ONE. 8(10): e76984. 2013.
- E Marzetti, R Calvani, M Cesari, TW Buford, M Lorenzi, BJ Behnke, C Leeuwenburgh. Mitochondrial dysfunction and sarcopenia of aging: from signaling pathways to clinical trials. Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 45(10): 2288-2301. 2013.
- SA Anton, C Karabetian, K Naugle, TW Buford*. Obesity and Diabetes as Accelerators of Functional Decline: Can Lifestyle Interventions Maintain Functional Status in High Risk Older Adults? Exp. Gerontol. 48(9): 888-897. 2013.
- AP Marsh, K Kennedy, LC Lovato, C Castro, K Domanchuk, NW Glynn, E McDavitt, R Rodate, M Marsiske, J McGloin, EJ Groessel, M Pahor, JM Guralnik, LIFE Research Group. Lifestyle Interventions and Independence for Elders Study: Recruitment and Baseline Characteristics. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. (in press)
- Performance of a computer-based assessment of cognitive function in two cohorts of seniors. Espeland MA, Katula JA, Rushing J, Kramer AF, Jennings JM, Sink KM, Nadkarni NK, Reid KF, Castro CM, Church T, Kerwin DR, Williamson JD, Marottoli RA, Rushing S, Marsiske M, Rapp SR; LIFE Study Group. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry. 28 (12): 1239-1250. 2013.
- TW Buford*, RG MacNeil, LG Clough, M Dirain, B Sandesara, M Pahor, TM Manini, C Leeuwenburgh. Active muscle regeneration following eccentric contraction-induced injury is similar between healthy young and older adults. J Appl Physiol. (in press)
- TM Manini, TW Buford, D Lott, K Vandenborne, MJ Daniels, J Knaggs, H Patel, M Pahor, MG Perri, SD Anton. Effect of dietary restriction and exercise on lower extremity tissue compartments in obese older women: A pilot study. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 69(1):101-108. 2014.
- TW Buford*, MD Roberts, TS Church. Toward exercise as personalized medicine. Sports Med. 43(3): 157-165. 2013.
- E Marzetti, TW Buford, R Bernabei. Commentary on “Muscle atrophy is not always sarcopenia”: Is misuse of the term sarcopenia due to a lack of biomarkers? J Appl Physiol. 113(4): 680-684. 2012.
- TW Buford*, E Marzetti, TM Manini. Commentary on “Muscle atrophy is not always sarcopenia”: On muscle atrophy, aging, and disease. J Appl Physiol. 113(4): 680-684. 2012.
- AM Joseph, PJ Adhihetty, TW Buford, SE Wohlgemuth, HA Lees, LMD Nguyen, JM Aranda, B Sandesara, M Pahor, TM Manini, E Marzetti, C Leeuwenburgh. The impact of aging on mitochondrial function and biogenesis pathways in skeletal muscle of sedentary high- and low-functioning elderly individuals. Aging Cell. 11(5): 801-809. 2012.
- BD Shelmadine, GM Hudson, TW Buford, A Groethe, JJ Moreillon, JL Gutierrez, RG Bowden, RL Wilson, DS Willoughby. The effects of supplementation of creatine on total homocysteine. J Renal Nurs. 4(6): 278-283. 2012.
- KA Larkin, RG MacNeil, M Dirain, B Sandesara, TM Manini, TW Buford*. Blood Flow Restriction Enhances Post-Resistance Exercise Angiogenic Gene Expression. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 44(11): 2077-2083. 2012.
- TM Manini, JF Yarrow, TW Buford, BC Clark, CF Conover, SE Borst. Growth hormone responses to acute resistance exercise with vascular restriction in young and old men. Growth Horm IGF Res. 22(5):167-172. 2012.
- E Marzetti, R Calvani, J DuPree, HA Lees, S Giovannini, D Seo, TW Buford, K Sweet, D Morgan, KYE Strehler, D Diz, SE Borst, M Moningka, K Krotova,CS Carter. Late-life enalapril administration induces nitric oxide-dependent and independent metabolic adaptations in the rat skeletal muscle. AGE (epub May 26, 2012).
- TW Buford*, M Pahor. Making preventive medicine more personalized: implications for exercise-related research. Prev Med. 55(1): 34-36. 2012.
- TW Buford*, TM Manini, FC Hsu, M Cesari, SD Anton, S Nayfield, RS Stafford, TS Church, M Pahor, CS Carter, for the LIFE Research Group. ACE inhibitor use by older adults is associated with improved functional responses to exercise. J Am Geriatr Soc. 60(7): 1244-1252. 2012.
- E Marzetti, SE Wohlgemuth, HA Lees, TM Manini, TW Buford, JM Aranda, R Calvani, G Capuani, M Marsiske, R Bernabei, M Pahor, C Leeuwenburgh. Skeletal muscle apoptotic signaling predicts thigh muscle volume and gait speed in community-dwelling older persons: an exploratory study. PLoS ONE. 7(2): e32829. 2012.
- TW Buford*, DJ Lott, E Marzetti, SE Wohlgemuth, K Vandenborne, M Pahor, C Leeuwenburgh, TM Manini. Age-related differences in Lower Extremity Tissue Compartments and Associations with Physical Function in Older Adults. Exp Gerontol. 47(1): 38-44. 2012.
- MB Cooke, P LaBounty, T Buford, B Shelmadine, L Redd, G Hudson, DS Willoughby. Ingestion of 10 grams of whey protein prior to a single bout of resistance exercise does not augment Akt/mTOR pathway signaling compared to carbohydrate. J. Int. Society Sports Nutr. 8:18. 2011.
- JR Nocera, TW Buford, TM Manini, K Naugle, C Leeuwenburgh, M Pahor, SD Anton, MG Perri. The Impact of Behavioral Intervention on Obesity Mediated Declines in Mobility Function: Implications for Longevity. J Aging Res. 2011: 392510.
- J Bunn, TW Buford, M Serra, R Kreider, D Willoughby. Protein and Amino Acid Supplementation Does Not Alter Proteolytic Gene Expression Following Immobilization. J Nutr Metab. Epub Aug. 9, 2011.
- TW Buford*, MB Cooke, BD Shelmadine, GM Hudson, LL Redd, DS Willoughby. Differential gene expression of FoxO1, ID1, and ID3 between young and older men and associations with muscle mass and function. Aging Clin Exper Res. 23(3):170-174. 2011.
- RA Fielding, WJ Rejeski, S Blair, T Church, MA Espeland, TM Gill, JM Guralnik, FC Hsu, J Katula, AC King, SB Kritchevsky, MM McDermott, ME Miller, S Nayfield, AB Newman, JD Williamson, D Bonds, S Romashkan, E Hadley, M Pahor, LIFE Research Group. The Lifestyle Interventions and Independence for Elders Study: Design and Methods. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 66(11): 1226-1237. 2011.
- CS Carter, S Giovaninni, D Seo, J DuPree, D Morgan, HY Chung H Lees, M Daniels, G Hubbard, S Lee, Y Ikeno, T Foster, TW Buford, E Marzetti. Differential effects of enalapril and losartan on body composition and indices of muscle quality in aged male Fischer 344 x Brown Norway rats. AGE. 33(2): 167-183. 2011.
- SJ Rossi, TW Buford, J McMillan, MS Kovacs, AE Marshall. Nutritional Strategies and Immune Function. Strength Cond J. 32 (6):65-70. 2010.
- TW Buford* and TM Manini. Sedentary Individuals as “Controls” in Human Studies: The Correct Approach? Proc Nat Acad Sci. U.S.A. 107(34): E134. 2010.
- TW Buford*, SD Anton, AR Judge, E Marzetti, SE Wohlgemuth, CC Carter, C Leeuwenburgh, M Pahor, TM Manini. Models of Accelerated Sarcopenia: Critical Pieces for Solving the Puzzle of Age-Related Muscle Atrophy. Ageing Res Rev. 9(4): 369-383. 2010.
- TW Buford, MB Cooke, TM Manini, C Leeuwenburgh, DS Willoughby. Effects of Age and Sedentary Lifestyle on Skeletal Muscle NFkB Signaling in Males. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 65(5): 532-537. 2010.
- TW Buford, MB Cooke, BD Shelmadine, GM Hudson, L Redd, DS Willoughby. Effects of Eccentric Treadmill Exercise on Inflammatory Gene Expression in Human Skeletal Muscle. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 34(4):745-753. 2009.
- TW Buford, MB Cooke, LL Redd, GM Hudson, BD Shelmadine, DS Willoughby. Protease Supplementation Improves Muscle Function Following Eccentric Exercise. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 41(10):1908-1914. 2009.
- TW Buford, MB Cooke, DS Willoughby. Resistance Exercise-Induced Changes of Inflammatory Gene Expression within Human Skeletal Muscle. Eur J Appl Physiol. 107(4): 463-471. 2009.
- B Shelmadine, M Cooke, T Buford, G Hudson, L Redd, B Leutholtz, DS Willoughby. Effects of 28 days of resistance exercise and consuming a commercially available pre-workout supplement, NO-Shotgun ®, on body composition, muscle strength and mass, markers of satellite cell activation, and clinical safety markers in males. J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 6:16. 2009.
- J Jitomir, E Nassar, J Culbertson, J Moreillon, T Buford, G Hudson, M Cooke, R Kreider, D Willoughby. The acute effects of the thermogenic supplement Meltdown on energy expenditure, fat oxidation, and hemodynamic responses in young, healthy males. J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 5:23. 2008.
- M Cooke, M Iosia, T Buford, B Shelmadine, G Hudson, C Kerksick, C Rasmussen, M Greenwood, B Leutholtz, D Willoughby and R Kreider. Effects of acute and chronic coenzyme Q10 supplementation on exercise performance in both trained and untrained individuals. J. Int. Society Sports Nutr. 5:8. 2008
- TW Buford and DS Willoughby. Impact of DHEA(S) and Cortisol on Immune Function in Aging: A Brief Review. Appl. Physiol. Nutr. Metab. 33: 429-433. 2008.
- TW Buford*, DB Smith, MS Obrien, AJ Warren, SJ Rossi. Seasonal Changes of Body Weight, Body Composition, and Muscular Performance in Collegiate Wrestlers. Int. J. Sport Physiology & Performance. 3: 176-184. 2008.
- TW Buford, RB Kreider, JR Stout, M Greenwood, B Campbell, M Spano, T Ziegenfuss, H Lopez, J Landis, J Antonio. International Society of Sports Nutrition position stand: creatine supplementation and exercise. J. Int. Society Sports Nutr. 4:6. 2007.
- TW Buford*, SJ Rossi, DB Smith, A Warren. A comparison of periodization models during nine weeks with equated volume and intensity for strength. J. Strength Cond. Res. 21(4): 1245-1250. 2007.
- SJ Rossi, TW Buford, DB Smith, R Kennel, EE Haff, GG Haff. Bilateral Comparison of Barbell Kinematics during a Weightlifting Competition. Int. J. Sport Physiology & Performance 2: 150-158. 2007.
- TW Buford*, DB Smith, SJ Rossi, M O’Brien, C Pickering. The effect of a competitive wrestling season on body weight, hydration, and muscular performance in collegiate wrestlers. J. Strength Cond. Res. 20(3): 689-692, 2006.