Dear Prospective Interns and Volunteers,
Thank you for your interest in the Department of Aging and Geriatric Research and Institute on Aging – we are delighted to have you!
As a department of the UF College of Medicine, our utmost concern is for the safety of our patients or research participants, faculty staff and students, and for maintaining the confidentiality of our data. To ensure compliance with the College of Medicine’s requirements, there are several steps that may need to take place prior to the beginning of your volunteering work.
Please note that you may not begin your volunteering work until you have been notified by a member of the Aging Volunteers team that you have been approved as a volunteer.
- Your first step will consist of identifying a mentor among the faculty in our department. Once a faculty member agrees to mentor you and sponsor your volunteering or internship activities, please ask him or her to email Aging-Volunteers@ad.ufl.edu to request a volunteer/intern status for you.
- Creation of a Gatorlink account: if you do not already have a Gatorlink account, please create one by using the “Create Account” option on the UF Authentication page. Once you have created your Gatorlink account, please email Aging-Volunteers@ad.ufl.edu your Gatorlink username.
- Information Needed for Volunteering (INV), http://aging.ufl.edu/information/volunteers/information-needed-for-volunteering/ (complete #1, 3, and 6, and email to your mentor for completion). When the Aging-Volunteers team receives the completed INV form, they will contact you with a list of required items.
- Completing the volunteer packet paperwork: Information and signatures from you and your mentor will be required for the completion of the Volunteering Paperwork packet. Additional training and documentation may be required based on duties assigned.
- Clearance for contact with patients or research participants: if your duties will include contact with patients or research participants, you will need a Health Assessment in addition to the steps mentioned above. Please email Aging-Volunteers@ad.ufl.edu for further instructions and note that you may have contact with patients or participants only after the your Health Assessment steps have been completed and you have been cleared for patient/participant contact.
For questions and additional information, please email Aging-Volunteers@ad.ufl.edu