Working together to Age Well…
As we age our healthcare needs change as our bodies change. Older adults require specialized medical care to address the normal changes of aging as well as complex health problems and challenges that develop. Our physicians are board certified geriatricians who are committed to listening to patients’ concerns and providing patient-centered, state-of-the-art geriatric care.
The following geriatric services are currently offered through the Division of Geriatric Medicine in our department:
- Senior Care Clinic: Our Geriatricians provide a daily primary care and urgent care geriatric clinic at the UF Health Senior Care clinic. Here, we offer understanding, compassionate and knowledgeable care to our patients, their families and caregivers, in the setting of a newly renovated clinical space, with free parking and friendly staff. Laboratories and radiology facilities are nearby and transportation is provided for convenient access.
Our services include:
– Primary medical care focused on age-related health conditions
– Comprehensive consultation and management plans for patients with complex and multiple health issues
– Specialty evaluation for problems common in older persons including incontinence, memory disorders, frailty, difficulty walking, and falls
– Assessment of the use of multiple medications and dietary supplements
– Medicare annual wellness exam
- Oak Hammock at the University of Florida: Our geriatricians also provide medical care and direction at the Oak Hammock, an innovative retirement community with a focus on lifelong learning, fitness and health, in their Skilled Nursing Facility (Long Term Care and Rehabilitation Care), and Assisted Living Facility. A daily urgent care clinic at the Oak Hammock is provided by one of our Nurse Practitioners.
- Short Term Rehabilitation and Long Term Care: Our geriatricians and physician extenders are caring for patients in local facilities including Signature Healthcare of Gainesville, Park Meadows Health & Rehabilitation Center – Greystone Health Network, and Palm Garden, Gainesville Health and Rehabilitation Center. We provide medical directorship to these facilities as well. Our team of physicians and extenders provide a continuity of care from the Shands Hospital to the Rehabilitation facility to continue guiding successful recovery in older people.
- Geriatrics Consultation Services in the UF Health Shands Hospital: Our team of geriatricians and physician extenders provide inpatient geriatrics consults for older people who are hospitalized with complicated medical conditions. We work with the admitting service to address the special needs of older patients in the hospital including preventing and treating delirium, assessing and treating dementia, and reviewing medications to avoid poly-pharmacy.
- Veteran services: at the VA hospital Geriatric care services are provided by Dr. John Meuleman, and Dr. Laurence M. Solberg who are part of the VA Geriatric, Research, Education and Clinical Center (GRECC), The VA hospital through the GRECC hosts a Gait and Balance Clinic, Palliative Care, Home Care and Extended Care.
- If interested in participating in our research studies, please call 1-866-386-7730 or email Recruit@aging.ufl.edu.